1. THE ADRENALINE RUSH: We read scary stories so we can get our blood pumping and our hearts pounding. Our bodies leap into fight or flight mode, our breathing increases, we are on the proverbial or real edge of our seats, anticipating what's going happen next! Basically it makes us feel like we have had a triple shot of espresso, chased with a Redbull, and it's awesome!
2. FOR SURVIVAL: If there ever is a zombie apocalypse, or a vampire invasion, we need to know what to do. There are great tips and techniques in horror stories, for instance Dracula tell us to kill a vampire impale him/her through the heart, then decapitate them! Psst, you can read Dracula on Booktrack.
3. THE NATURAL HIGH: Scary stories give us the thrills and chills that can make us feel more alive. Thank you, dopamine! Your body releases dopamine (which regulates mood, emotions, and our ability to deal with stress and anxiety) during scary/thrilling experiences.
4. A SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT: You feel pretty good knowing you were able to handle the horror, the blood, the gore, the suspense. It scared the life out of you, but you made it through the whole book, and you are ready to do it all over again.
5. ESCAPISM: A trip to another world, even a world of horror is a great way to step away from the daily grid. Plus, we know we are safe and can hide under the covers whenever we want!
BONUS: TO FEEL SOMETHING EXTREME: Horror stories can take you to the edge of your emotional limits. Feelings of fear, anger, frustration, terror, empathy, surprise, and many others ca wash over you, in ways you don't get to experience in your daily life. It can be a great release.
Now that you know why people love reading horror, why not give it a shot yourself and have some fun creating your own Booktrack! Our free Booktrack Studio has a database of over 20,000 audio files, so you can easily embed music, ambient audio and sound effects into your story that play play in synch with the text and pace to an individual's reading speed.